Sunday, July 12, 2009

Mirinda / Orange / Passion Fruit

Last Friday - Mike and I, while going to Dong’s eatery for our linner (lunch and dinner combined into one), saw this variety of fruit we often talk about. I just remember that many of our friends don’t know that there is a fruit like this. Some are familiar but don’t know the local or English term for this. The fruit I am talking about, after research is called “Passion Fruit” or Passiflora edulis .
To my cravings for this bright yellow fruit, which is known in bikol as Mirinda or Orange, I stopped by the street and look for the seller of this passion fruit. Unfortunately, there is no one around the store. We waited for minutes and yet no one came to transact with. My bad I really crave for the nutritious passion fruit, known to be high in Vitamin C, A, fiber and potassium, so I ended up getting three pieces and left the basket with fifteen pesos. (It seemed to be an honesty store!) Lol, I don’t know if it’s the right price for what I’ve got. Mike and I are certain that in bikol, that fruit is just for free when you ask the owner. Hahaha. Sorry to whoever own that store. I’m planning to tell him/her about this as soon as I know who the seller is, and I’m going to give my balance if ever my payment was not right.

I really like the bittersweet flavor coming from Passion Fruit’s orange, juicy flesh. And to add the pungent aroma, this fruit will surely be everyone’s choice. While eating the seeds, I just reminisce my childhood memories when I was in grandmother’s place eating the same fruit. I never thought that I would see this kind here in Pasig City. Yummy!

5 comments:

  1. sa bicol ko lang nakakain ang gantong prutas. alsumun... ralaway na ako..

    ReplyDelete
  2. ehehe eu, sayang nani ubos na su tigbakalan ko.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw and drink of this fruit in Polangui, Albay. My mother said long time a go there is in Pampanga, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. eu, sa bikol lang garo igwa kani, saka ginigibo ining juic, try nyo masarap...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This fruit is like weeds, it grows everywhere. Kadakul sa backyard kan Lola ko. Masiramun at miss ko nang makatana pag-uli ko sa July after 7 yrs.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts matter. Please share.